Anzac biscuits with coconut
- 125g unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
Preheat oven to 180C. Line 3 trays with baking paper.
Place flour, coconut, sugar and rolled oats in a large bowl.
Melt butter and golden syrup in a small saucepan (dont burn!), then add bicarb and water.
Fizz! Stir butter-foam into dry ingredients and mix well.
Roll a heaped teaspoonful into small balls and place on trays.
Leave about 3cm between them. Bake for 10-15 minutes.
Cool slightly before lifting off with a spatula to cool on wire racks.
- In my oven (new fan force switch, hooray!) half the biscuits were, ahem, overdone at 10 minutes. Check frequently!
- They should spread and flatten nicely. If they are a bit puffy, remove them from oven, squash with spatula and return to oven to finish cooking (a nifty trick from my auntie).
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.