Brown sugar apple tray cake
- 1 cup (250g) butter, softened
- 1 cup (200g) brown sugar
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 2/3 cup (250g) plain flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 large apples (whatever fresh, crunchy ones you have available), cored and thinly sliced
Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced) and grease and line a baking tray with deep sides (about 5cm).
Cream the butter and sugar together with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy (this should take about 5 minutes). Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition.
Sift the flour, cinnamon, ginger and baking powder together then fold this through the butter mixture.
Spoon this into your prepared tray, press apple over the top and then bake for 35 minutes or until the sides of the cake are just pulling away from the tin and a skewer comes out clean. Let cool in the tin, dust with icing sugar and serve.
Find related apple recipes
- Apple and cinnamon turnovers
- Apple and hazelnut cake
- Apple and jam tarts
- Apple cinnamon muffins
- Apple dessert
- Apple juice
- Apple pie
- Apple sauce cake
- Autumn plums and apples
- Use pears instead of apples if you prefer.
- Fold through a handful of toasted, chopped hazelnuts with the apples before baking.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder: You can follow Sophie on Local is Lovely, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.