Carrot cake muffins
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 2 cups (400g) brown sugar
- 2 cups (300g) self-raising flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 50 grams butter
- 75 grams cream cheese
- 1 cup (150g) icing sugar
- Orange and green food colouring
Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Line a 12-cup muffin pan with muffin liners and set aside.
Peel and grate the carrots, and set aside.
In a bowl combine sugar, flour, spices and oil into a large bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, stir in carrots and walnuts (optional) and combine until all ingredients are moist.
Bake for 20-30 minutes or until skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool in the pan for 5 minutes and then cool further on a wire rack.
In a bowl using a mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese until smooth and then gradually add the icing sugar until light and fluffy. Use a small amount of green food colouring to colour the icing. Spread over cooled muffins or if you have a grass icing tip Wilton No.233) you could make the top look like grass.
To make the carrots, colour the icing and knead the colour through. If it gets a little sticky you can use icing sugar to thicken it again. Taking a small piece roll a tapered tube then put small indents in. Using green fondant, create the leaves and poke them into the top of the carrot a wee bit to secure them.
- The oil in this recipe must be tasteless so please use a neutral oil like vegetable oil and not olive oil.
- You need to mix this recipe until the ingredients are just moist. If you over-mix muffins they become tough in texture.