Carrot cake muffins
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 2 cups (400g) brown sugar
- 2 cups (300g) self-raising flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 pkt (250g) cream cheese
- 1 cup (150g) icing sugar
- 1 cup dried apricots
- 8 green snake lollies (cut 1/4 off each one and then split the remaining 3/4 down the middle a little way to make the green stalk of a carrot top).
Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Line a 12-cup muffin pan with muffin liners and set aside.
Peel and grate the carrots, and set aside.
In a bowl combine sugar, flour, spices and oil into a large bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, stir in carrots and walnuts (optional) and combine until all ingredients are moist.
Bake for 20-30 minutes or until skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool in the pan for 5 minutes and then cool further on a wire rack.
In a bowl using a mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth and then gradually add the icing sugar until light and fluffy. Spread over cooled muffins.
Roll apricots into a carrot shape and place on top . Then add a snake piece to create a stalk.
Find more muffin recipes:
- Choc chip muffins
- Cinnamon muffins
- Feta and spinach muffins
- Quick muffins
- Potato and bacon muffins
- Wholemeal pear and ginger muffins
- Invisible apple muffins
- Raspberry muffins
- Anzac muffins
- Banana and maple syrup muffins
- Oat, date and honey muffins
- The oil in this recipe must be tasteless so please use a neutral oil like vegetable oil and not olive oil.
- You need to mix this recipe until the ingredients are just moist. If you over-mix muffins they become tough in texture.
- This recipe was created by Cassandra Neave for the Kidspot Kitchen Instagram competition.