Chicken and pumpkin risotto
- 400g pumpkin, peeled and diced into 2cm cubes (approx)
- 4 cups real chicken stock
- 25g butter
- 1 brown onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup arborio rice
- half a cup white wine
- half a lemon
- half a cup parmesan, grated
- 1-2 cups roast chicken, diced or shredded
Place pumpkin and stock in a medium saucepan and bring to the boil.
Boil for 5 minutes to soften the pumpkin then turn off heat and cover until needed.
In a large frying pan, melt butter then saute onion, followed by the garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes.
Add rice, lightly season with salt and pepper then stir to distribute the heat evenly through the rice.
Add wine, stirring to prevent sticking- once 90% of the wine has absorbed, add two ladles of stock and pumpkin.
Continue stirring to prevent sticking and even cooking.
When rice absorbs 80% of liquid, add more of the stock and pumpkin and continue adding until all gone. You will need to mash the pumpkin lumps when stirring.
Remove from heat; add lemon juice, parmesan and roast chicken. Put a lid on the pan and rest for 5 minutes. Fold through and serve.
- This is a great recipe to use with leftover roast chicken or bought BBQ chicken.
- The stock is well seasoned so you really do not need to add extra salt.
- Always make sure you dice the pumpkin small so it breaks down quickly.
- Recipe created by Camilla Baker for Kidspot, New Zealands best recipe finder.