French toast bake
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 250g butter
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1-2 loaves white toast bread, crusts removed
- 6 eggs
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
Melt butter in microwave and add the 2 cups brown sugar. Stir until combined.
Pour butter and sugar mixture into baking dish and spread to cover the base.
In a separate bowl, beat eggs, milk, vanilla and caster sugar.
Lay single layer of bread in dish, spoon half of egg mixture on bread. Sprinkle half of the sugar and cinnamon mixture over the top.
Place the second layer of bread into the dish and spoon on remaining egg mixture. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with remaining sugar and cinnamon mixture.
Cover with cling film and leave in the fridge overnight.
Preheat oven to 180°C or 160°fan-forced. Bake for 45 minutes. Sprinkle with icing sugar. Serve with maple syrup on the side.
- I used hand-sliced thick slabs of bread for this recipe so it needed a lot of the egg/milk mixture. If you are using pre-cut slices of bread, you will need to reduce this to 4 eggs and 1 ½ cups of milk.
- This is the perfect brunch recipe to make the night before if you are having guests. All you have to do is put it in the oven.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.
Find more brunch recipes
- Banana and honey porridge
- Basic pancakes
- Bull’s eye egg
- Fluffy cheese omelette
- Baked cinnamon apple porridge
- Almond pancakes
- Bacon and egg muffins
- Lemon butter