Homemade taco sauce
- 2 tsp (10ml) olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small red capsicum, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tin (400g) diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup (125ml) vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp (20ml) white vinegar
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp smokey paprika
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder (optional)
- 1 tsp sugar
Heat oil in a small saucepan and add onion, capsicum and garlic with a pinch of salt.
Cook on low for 8 minutes until soft.
Add remaining ingredients and bring to the boil.
Reduce heat and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
Leave it as is or blend/process for a smooth sauce.
More Mexican recipes
- Chicken caesar tacos
- Fish tacos
- Tasty tacos
- Mexican tortilla bake
- Tortilla stacks
- Chicken quesidillas
- Nachos with invisible beans
- Chicken, lime and avocado tortillas
- Healthy homemade tacos
- Ideal on pizza, tacos or even with corn chips as a dip.
- If you don’t have vegetable stock you can substitute it for beef stock, which will give you a more robust flavour.
- This recipe was created by Jay Rogers for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder: You can follow Jay at The Moodie Foodie and on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.