- 750g mince
- 125g bacon, finely chopped or minced
- 1 onion, finely chopped or grated
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 zucchini, grated
- ½ cup fresh breadcrumbs or cornflake crumbs (gluten-free)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce or soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ¼ -½ cup milk
Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease bottom and sides of a loaf tin with butter (my tin is 21cm x 11cm).
Place all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well to combine.
Press firmly into loaf tin and bake for 1 hour. Rest in tin for 10 minutes, run a knife around the edge of meatloaf to make sure it is not stuck to the sides of the tin.
Invert onto a serving platter. Serve slices hot with mash and vegetables or cold with salads or in sandwiches.
- It hadn’t previously occurred to me, but meatloaf is really just one big hamburger that you can slice up!
- I used gluten-free cornflake crumbs instead of bread crumbs to make this gluten-free.
- Also nice with cheesy crust – 15 minutes before end of cooking time, sprinkle top with 1/3 cup grated cheese and return to oven.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.