Sausage and beef casserole
- 8 beef sausages (gluten free)
- 4 rashers bacon, rind removed and chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup (125mL) red wine (optional)
- 1 cup (250mL) beef stock (gluten free)
Heat a non-stick frypan to medium heat, cook sausages, turning frequently for about 10 minutes or until cooked through.
Transfer sausages to a plate, slice each sausage into thirds.
Cook bacon and onion in the same frypan until onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
Return sausages to pan, turn heat to high and pour in red wine (if using), cook for another 5 minutes or until red wine has reduced to about 1 tablespoon.
Add stock, bring to boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
If you prefer a thicker gravy, mix 1 tablespoon cornflour with 1 tablespoon of cold water and stir through sauce to thicken.
Serve with creamy mashed potato.
To make Shrek’s swamp, spoon some mash onto a plate and use the back of the spoon to make a well in the centre.
Fill ‘pool’ with swamp mixture. I added broccoli trees for a bit of colour!
- I like to call this Shrek’s swamp. It’s very quick to prepare and a tasty casserole.
- You shouldn’t have too much trouble getting the kids to eat it, even if you don’t call it Shrek’s swamp! Just exclude the wine.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.