Sausages with braised chickpeas
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 500g pork sausages
- 1 medium brown onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 x tin (400g) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 bunch silverbeet, stems removed, sliced
- 1/2 cup chargrilled red capsicum, sliced
Heat 1 tbsp oil in a nonstick frypan over medium heat. Cook sausages for 10-12 minutes, turning often, until cooked through. Remove and keep warm.
Meanwhile, in a large saucepan or casserole with a lid, heat remaining oil. Cook onion and garlic over gentle heat for 4 minutes, stirring often.
Add chickpeas and silver beet and stir for a further minute. Add capsicum along with 1/2 cup water, cover with lid and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
Serve braised chickpeas and vegetables with sausages.
Find related sausage recipes
- Bangers and mash
- Chevaps and roasted vegetable salad
- Creamy curried sausages
- Curried sausages
- Italian sausage and rocket penne
- Garlic mushrooms, tomatoes and chipolatas
- Sausage and beef casserole
- Sausage and mushroom pasta
- Sausage bake
- Sausage hotpot
- Sausage salad
- Sausages with spiralli
- Tomatoey chipolatas with polenta
- Yummy curried sausages
- You can chargrill capsicum yourself by barbecuing it or roasting it at high heat. Once the skin has blackened, pop it in a plastic bag for 10 minutes. Then the skin should rub off easily and you can remove the seeds and slice the flesh.
- If you prefer, buy it pre-prepared from the deli or in jars in the antipasto section of the supermarket.
- This recipe was created for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder by Greer Worsley, who blogs at Typically Red.