Slow cooker stuffed lamb shoulder
- 2kg shoulder lamb, bone removed
- 200g sausage mince (or 3 raw sausages, de-skinned)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 stalk of finely chopped fresh rosemary (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 stalk fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and thickly sliced or 1 dozen dutch carrots (whole baby carrots)
- 1 large onion, peeled and thickly diced
Unwrap lamb shoulder (if it is rolled) and cut off netting or string.
In a frypan, add some oil and brown the small onion over a moderate heat. Add sausage mince, rosemary and parsley and stir until meat is browned, set aside.
Sprinkle the mince mix on the inner part of the shoulder and re-roll, concealing the stuffing. Wrap with unwaxed kitchen twine until the stuffing is secured in the centre and not spilling out.
Place the celery, large onion and carrot in the bottom of the slow cooker and rest the lamb on top of the vegetables, Grind some salt and pepper onto the top of the lamb and give it a quick rub in with your fingers.
Cover the slowcooker and turn on high for 5 hours or low for 7 hours.
20 minutes prior to the slowcooker finish time, preheat oven to 200°C.
Transfer lamb from the slowcooker onto a roasting tray and place in the oven. This gives the outside a crispy shell. Remove after 30 minutes and allow to rest for 15 minutes before carving.
Serve with your favourite steamed or baked vegetables and drizzle leftover juices from slow cooker when serving as a gravy.
- Lamb shoulder is available at your local butcher and supermarkets. If you can’t see one, ask behind the counter.
- Salt bush lamb is a yummy alternative to standard lamb. The lambs have been grazing on salt bush which gives the meat a deep flavour with a yummy salty aftertaste!
- If you like a thicker gravy, transfer the juice/stock from the bottom of the slow cooker to a saucepan and add 1 tblsp cornflower diluted in 3 tblsp water to thicken.
- This recipe was created by Melissa Klemke for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.