Snazzy sausage rolls
- 500g beef sausage mince (or just skin sausages if you have some!)
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 small potato, grated
- 10cm leek, finely diced
- 1 slice grainy bread, grated
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 egg
- 3 sheets frozen puff pastry
- (egg wash or milk to brush rolls with)
Take puff pastry out of freezer and allow to defrost whilst preparation takes place.
Preheat oven to 200C.
Mix all above ingredients (except the puff pastry) with a fork and make sure they are well combined.
Place the meat onto a pastry sheet about 3cm from edge in logs of about 3cm circumference allowing some extra at the ends that you can chop off to ensure meat goes all the way through.
Roll edge of pastry over meat and then roll until completely covering meat with a 1cm overlap.
Cut and place with overlap underneath on greased tray.
Prick with fork to allow hot air to vent and brush with egg wash or milk.
Bake for 30-35 minutes until completely cooked and browned on top.
- Love, love love these. Never buy them from a bakery now as I think mine taste one million percent better (cocky huh?!) But I’m not alone – I’m pretty sure my family is with me on that one.
- This sausage roll recipe is a great one to knock up on a lazy afternoon or for a cold day’s lunch, but you can also make them into mini sausage rolls for entertaining or serve them cold for school lunches.
- This recipe was created by Melissa Klemke for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.
Find related party food recipes