Balsamic lamb casserole recipe
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1kg lamb, best-neck
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped into chunks
- 3 sticks celery, chopped into chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 x 400g cans tomatoes
- handful of thyme sprigs
- 150ml balsamic vinegar
- 2 x 400g cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
Heat the oil in a heavy based frying pan.
Brown the lamb. Place in slow cooker.
Saute the onion, carrots, celery and garlic until they begin to soften.
Add to the slow-cooker, together with the tomatoes, thyme and balsamic vinegar. Cook on low for seven hours.
Add the cannellini beans. Cook for another 30 minutes.
Serve with soft polenta, mash or rice.
Find related casserole recipes
- Lamb Moroccan casserole
- Lamb chop casserole
- Pork casserole with herb dumplings
- Sausage and beef casserole
- Tuna and rice casserole
- Italian beef and potato casserole
- If you want to add a Middle Eastern flavour to the dish, saute the veggies with 1tsp Moroccan spice, substitute chickpeas for cannellini beans and throw in a handful of sultanas before serving with couscous.
- Cheaper cuts of meat work well in a slow cooker because of the long cooking time. If you don’t fancy neck of lamb, try lamb shanks instead.
- This recipe was created by Alana House for Kidspot, New Zealand’s recipe finder.