Beef and pumpkin casserole
- 700g beef blade steak, cut into 5cm chunks
- olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 cups butternut pumpkin, chopped.
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tbsp thyme leaves
- zest of one orange
- 6 anchovies
- 1 x 400g tin diced tomatoes
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 x 500g packet egg pasta such as pappardelle
- 20g butter
- parsley to serve
Preheat the oven to 170°C or 150°C fan-forced.
Heat some olive oil in a heavy-based saucepan over high and in batches, brown the beef on all sides. Set beef aside and season well with salt and pepper.
Reduce heat to medium-low, add a splash more olive oil and cook the onion for five minutes, then add the garlic, pumpkin, vinegar, bay, thyme, zest and anchovies. Stir well and cook for another five minutes.
Now pour in the tomatoes and stock. Bring to the boil then cover and place in the oven for three hours. When ready to serve, cook pasta according to packet instructions, drain and toss with the butter. Serve in deep, warm bowls with a sprinkle of parsley.
- I prefer to use unpeeled potimarron pumpkin for this recipe but it can be hard to find.
- Due to the slow cooking of this casserole it is the perfect recipe to use cheaper cuts of beef like bolar blade and chuck steak.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder. You can follow Sophie on Local is Lovely, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.
Find related casserole recipes
- Beef casserole
- Beef casserole with a hint of sweet
- Chicken and bacon casserole
- Chicken and pumpkin casserole
- Chilli pork and bean slow cooker casserole
- Easy beef casserole
- Easy chicken casserole
- Favourite lamb casserole
- Italian chicken casserole
- Lamb and bean casserole
- Lamb chop casserole
- Pork casserole with herb dumplings
- Sausage and beef casserole
- Tuna and rice casserole
- Italian beef and potato casserole