Chicken quinoa pilaf
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, sliced finely
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tsp garam marsala
- 3 cups (750ml) chicken stock
- 400g skinless chicken breast, sliced finely
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 70g spinach leaves, finely sliced
- 1/4 cup (70mls) light coconut milk
- coriander to garnish
Place quinoa in a strainer and rinse well. Set aside
Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan and add onion, garlic and mustard seeds with a pinch of salt.
Cook on low heat for 8 minutes or until onion is soft and translucent.
Add garam marsala, quinoa and stock. Stir to combine, turn up the heat a little and bring to a simmer.
Add chicken breast and stir through. Reduce the heat to low, cover and gently simmer pilaf for 15 minutes before adding peas and spinach leaves.
Continue to cook until liquid has been absorbed and quinoa is soft and fluffy. Add coconut milk and heat through.
Serve with a sprinkling of coriander.
Find related quinoa recipes
- Crunchy quinoa salad
- Grilled asparagus and quinoa salad
- Hearty beef and quinoa stew
- How to cook quinoa
- Quinoa and apple porridge
- Quinoa calamari rings
- Quinoa cheeseburger with barbecue onions
- Quinoa salad
- Quinoa is high in protein and iron and is just so good for you. But sometimes it can be bitter and rinsing helps to remove any bitterness.
- I use chicken breasts to keep the fat and kilojoules down, but if you prefer chicken thighs feel free to use them.
- This will feed 4 for dinner with 1-2 lunches left over.
- This recipe was created by Jay Rogers for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder. You can follow Jay at The Moodie Foodie and on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.