Healthy turkey parmigiana
- 2 cups (500ml) passata
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- oil spray
- 4 x 150g skinless turkey breast steaks
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- 3/4 cup (40g) light mozzarella cheese
Heat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced), spray a shallow oven dish with oil and set aside.
Place passata, dried oregano, basil, garlic powder and sugar into a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Remove sauce from the heat and spoon half into the oven dish.
Spray turkey breasts lightly with oil and sprinkle over dried herbs and a little seasoning. Heat a non-stick frying pan to medium and spray lightly with oil. Add turkey breasts and cook for 2-3 minutes per side. Remove breasts and add to the shallow oven dish.
Pour over remaining tomato sauce and top breasts with mozzarella cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil and continue cooking for a further 10 minutes.
Serve with salad or vegetables of your choice.
Find related healthy dinner recipes
- Fish in foil
- Pan-fried lamb salad
- Vietnamese rice paper rolls
- Turkey and mango parcels
- Spring lamb with dukkah yoghurt
- Vegetable tagine with couscous
- Healthy roast lamb
- Beer can chicken
- Tom yum soup
- Chicken in Oyster sauce stirfry
- If you can’t find turkey, this recipe would work well with chicken breasts.
- If you can’t be bothered making your own tomato sauce, feel free to buy your favourite brand of pasta sauce from the supermarket to cut down on time or effort.
- This recipe was created by Jay Rogers for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder. You can follow Jay at The Moodie Foodie and on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.