Nuoc cham chicken with noodle salad
- 1/3 cup finely grated palm sugar
- 1/3 cup fish sauce
- 2/3 cup (160ml) lime juice
- 1 long red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3cm piece fresh ginger, finely grated
- 8 chicken thigh cutlets (skin on)
- 1 1/2 tbsp rice bran oil
- lime wedges, to serve
- 125g dried rice vermicelli noodles
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 cucumber, halved lengthways, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves, torn
- 1/3 cup fresh coriander leaves, torn
- 100g bean sprouts, trimmed
Combine sugar, fish sauce, lime juice, chilli, garlic and ginger in a large jug. Stir until sugar dissolves. Reserve half a cup of the mixture for dressing. Transfer remaining mixture to a shallow glass or ceramic dish.
Place chicken, skin-side down, on a chopping board. Cut down either side of bone (this ensures even cooking), being careful not to cut through skin. Add to lime mixture in dish. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes (if time permits).
Drizzle 2 tsp of oil on a barbecue hotplate. Over medium heat, place the chicken on barbecue, skin-side down. Cook for 20 minutes, turning and basting with any remaining marinade, until browned and cooked through.
Meanwhile, make the noodle salad. Place noodles in a heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water. Stand for 5 minutes or until tender. Using a fork, separate noodles. Drain. Rinse under cold water. Transfer to a large bowl. Using kitchen scissors, cut noodles into 5cm lengths.
Add carrot, cucumber, mint, coriander, sprouts, reserved dressing and remaining oil. Toss gently to combine.
Serve chicken with noodle salad and lime wedges.
Related salad recipes
- Find more easy quick dinner ideas
- Summer steak with tomato salad
- Chickpea salad
- Pumpkin, feta and chickpea salad
- Chicken and mango salad
- Warm chicken salad
- Asian salmon salad
- BBQ chicken salad
- Creamy potato salad
- Chicken and cranberry waldorf salad
- Pasta salad
- Recipes Liz Macri Photography Andrew Young