Roast pumpkin and quinoa salad
Makes 4 side dishes
- 800g kent pumpkin, sliced into 1cm thin pieces
- oil spray
- 1/3 cup quinoa (white, black, red or mixed)
- 2/3 cup (160ml) vegetable stock
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 30g Danish feta, crumbled
For the dressing:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
Pre-heat oven to 200°c (180°C fan-forced) and line two large baking trays with baking paper.
Place pumpkin on trays, spray lightly with oil, season with salt and pepper and cook for 25-30 minutes.
While pumpkin is roasting, put quinoa, stock and garlic into a medium saucepan and heat on medium until bubbling. Turn the heat to low, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until quinoa is cooked.
Allow quinoa to stand for 2 minutes before fluffing up with a fork and set aside.
Place the olive oil, brown sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice in a glass jar. Pop the lid on and give it a good shake. Set aside.
Arrange pumpkin layered with quinoa on a large serving plate, or individual side plates, and drizzle with dressing from the jar.
Sprinkle with parsley and feta and serve immediately.
- Cooked quinoa should have the consistency of couscous – it should not be too wet.
- I’ve used black quinoa because it looks beautiful on the plate but feel free to use any quinoa that you have.
- If a hearty salad is your what you’re looking for, you can have this Beef, eggplant and lentil salad on the table in less than 15 minutes.
- The simple flavours of the Poached chicken and avocado salad means that everyone in the family will love it.
- If you love salads that are a bit different, you’ll enjoy this summery Sweet rice salad.
- You’ll never look back after you’ve taken your first mouthful of this Strange strawberry salad. It’s so much tastier than the name suggests!
- This Beetroot and goat’s cheese salad is the perfect side for a Sunday roast.
- Sometimes traditional is best, and nothing beats a good Greek salad, full of fresh ingredients.
- This Prawn, watermelon and feta salad will be just what the doctor ordered on a scorching hot summer day.
- Tempt fussy kids with the delights of this Sweet orange salad with coconut, carrot and sultanas.
- These Asian-inspired Chicken rissoles with sweet chilli mango salad will be popular with the whole family.
- This recipe was created by Jay Rogers for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder. You can follow Jay at The Moodie Food