Slow roasted tomato soup
- 2kg roma tomatoes
- 1 head garlic
- 1/2 bunch thyme
- 20ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
- 250ml (1 cup) chicken or vegetable stock
- basil pesto to serve
Preheat oven to 160°C conventional (140°C fan-forced). Halve tomatoes and lay them cut side up in a baking dish. Halve the garlic right across the centre and add it to the dish. Tuck sprigs of thyme between the tomatoes. Drizzle the whole lot with olive oil and season well with salt and pepper. Roast for 1 hour.
Squeeze garlic out of skins. Discard the skins and thyme. In batches, blitz tomatoes and garlic in a blender or food processor – it needn’t be too smooth. Pour soup into a large saucepan and add stock, stirring to combine as it heats.
Serve with dollops of pesto on top and grilled or toasted bread on the side.
Find related soup recipes
- Chicken noodle soup
- Curried lentil soup
- Thai pumpkin soup recipe
- Potato and leek soup
- Curtis Stone’s chorizo and chick pea soup
- Katie’s chicken soup recipe
- Baby carrot soup
- Pick-me-up spicy lentil soup
- Bacon, potato and cheese soup
- Pumpkin and cumin soup recipe
- Pumpkin soup
- Red lentil and pumpkin soup recipe
- Any hardy herb would do for this dish. Try rosemary, oregano or marjoram.
- If the tomatoes are very juicy, you may not need to add any stock.
- Recipe by Greer Worsley, a working mum whose desire to make and bake things has grown in inverse proportion to the amount of spare time she has since her three gorgeous girls came along. Her blog is typically red.