- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion, cut in half and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-cm thick slices
- 2 zucchini, sliced into 1/2-cm thick slices
- 4 Roma tomatoes, sliced into 1/2-cm thick slices
- salt and pepper, to taste
- dried thyme, to taste
- 1/2 cup cheese, grated (tasty or parmesan work well)
Preheat your oven to 180å¡C or 160å¡C fan-forced. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
Heat a frying pan over medium heat, and pour 1 tablespoon of olive oil into the pan. When hot, add the onion and cook until translucent and softened. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
Place the cooked onion and garlic into the bottom of the baking dish. Spread around so it is evenly distributed.
Layer the sliced potato, zucchini and tomatoes alternatively in the baking dish over the top of the onion mix. There should be only one layer.
Drizzle with the remaining olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle dried thyme over the vegetables.
Cover with foil and place into oven. Cook for 35 minutes or until tender. Remove baking dish from oven and discard the foil. Sprinkle the cheese on top and place back into the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the vegetables are completely cooked and the cheese is browned.
- To make the nice swirling pattern, it is better to begin by placing the vegetables in the centre of the dish and then working your way out.
- You can use small regular tomatoes if you canÛªt get Roma tomatoes. The flavour will be just as good.
- This needs to be baked as soon as you assemble it as the potatoes will leech moisture from the time they are first cut.
- This recipe was created by Chantelle Ellem for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder. You can follow Chantelle at Fatmumslim or on Facebook or Twitter.