Wonton noodle soup
- 1.8kg organic chicken
- 1 tbsp vegetable stock powder
- 2 sticks celery, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 x 5cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and quartered
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp dry sherry
- 440gåÊ rice noodles
- 12-16 wontons/dumplings
- 1 bunch bok choy, roughly chopped
Place chicken in a large stockpot and cover with water. Add stock powder, celery, carrot, onion, ginger and salt. Bring to a gentle simmer. Cook, uncovered, for about 1 to 1.5 hours until chicken is done.
Remove chicken. Strain stock.
Return stock to stockpot, add soy sauce and sherry. Bring to simmer again.
Prepare noodles according to packet. Add wontons/dumplings to stock and cook according to packet recommendation. åÊTwo minutes before they are ready, add the noodles and bok choy. Continue simmering until wontons/dumplings are done, then serve.
- Prawn dumplings are available from the freezer section of your supermarket or from Asian speciality stores. Just keep an eye on the ingredients to ensure they donÛªt include MSG.
- Because the chicken broth really is the star of this dish, it is worth the little extra expense to buy an organic chicken. You will definitely taste the difference!
- This recipe was created by Alana House for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder. You can follow Alana at Housegoeshome and on Twitter.