Hearty vegetable soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 bacon shortcut rashers, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 3 celery sticks, sliced
- 1/2 cauliflower, chopped
- 400g tin diced tomatoes
- 1L salt-reduced beef stock
- 1 cup dried macaroni pasta
- 1 handful of parsley, chopped
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
Heat olive oil in a soup pot and fry bacon, onion and garlic for 3 minutes.
Add the carrot, celery, zucchini and cauliflower. Fry for 5 minutes until the vegetables start to brown.
Add the stock, tomatoes and enough water to cover the vegetables. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the pasta and cook for 10 minutes until pasta is tender.
Add parsley and balsamic vinegar. Season to taste.
Related soup recipes
- Chicken matzo ball soup
- Chicken noodle soup
- Chunky vegetable soup with chickpeas
- Creamy mushroom soup
- Leftover soup
- Ninja turtle soup (potato and broccoli)
- Potato bacon and leek soup
- Pumpkin and cumin soup
- Pumpkin soup
- Barley and vegetable soup
- I like to double the quantities of this soup and freeze it in portions for later.
- I originally added balsamic vinegar to the soup because I thought it was too salty. I discovered that the vinegar adds a great depth to the flavour and I always use it now.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.